- Get support: Check with your physician before starting any weight management plan.
- Make a commitment: Permanent weight loss requires time and effort. Commit to lifelong changes for good health.
- Set realistic goals: Healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week.
- Eat frequently and don’t skip meals: Eat small, frequent mini-meals to help your body efficiently burn calories. Skipping meals will cause your body to hold onto fat rather than burn it.
- Enjoy healthier foods: Choose fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans, nonfat yogurt, nuts and seeds, and high fiber cereals.
- Cut out the junk: Avoid or minimize sugary, fatty, processed, and sodium-rich foods.
- Get active and stay active: Exercise a minimum of 30 minutes, 3-5 days a week.
- Stay hydrated: Drink a minimum of eight 8oz. glasses of water per day to help your body function at its best and to help control hunger.
- Give your body the nutrition it needs: Take a daily multivitamin such as Natrol® My Favorite Multiple®.
- Keep a positive mental outlook: Don’t be too hard on yourself. Being healthy should be fun!!
Diet Plan (1,200 calories)
Build your daily meals around the Food Groups listed below. Keep the number of servings
and portions in-check and you will consume a balanced, low-calorie diet for healthy weight loss.
|Food Group||Daily Servings||Portion Pointer||Nutrition Content|
|Starch & Grains||4||1/2 cup cereal, cooked grain (e.g.,
rice, oatmeal, barley, grits), pasta or starchy vegetable (e.g., beans, peas, corn);
1 oz. (1 slice) bread; 1/4 to 1 oz. snack food
(e.g., pretzels, crackers)
|Vegetable||2||½ cup cooked vegetables or vegetable juice;
1 cup raw non-starchy vegetables
|25||5 g||2 g||0 g|
|Milk||2||1 cup nonfat milk or yogurt (plain or sweetened
with a non-nutritive sweetener)
|Fruit||2||1 small to medium fruit; 1/2 cup canned/fresh fruit or
fruit juice; 1/4 cup dried fruit
|Lean Protein||3||1 oz. very lean meat, chicken or fish; 1/4 cup nonfat
cottage cheese; 2 egg whitesHint: 3 oz (3 servings) = deck of cards
|Fat||4||1 teaspoon oil (olive, canola, vegetable); 1 tablespoon
salad dressing (mayo type, reduced calorie); 1 teaspoon mayonnaise; 1 tablespoon
nuts; 5 large olives; 1 teaspoon butter; 1 oz. avocado (1/8 medium)
|Your Choice||Not Specified||250 calories from any food group or use for an occasional favorite
treat such as cookies, pudding, angel food cake, etc.